020711 Bastiat Fans Towards complete libertarian publishing and library services via CD-ROMs? Starting perhaps with the works of and on Bastiat?

John Zube jzube@acenet.com.au
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:40:59 +1000

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C22923.A59CB520

Dear Bastiat fans,
                               Francois-Rene Rideau recommended in an =
e-mail of Jan. 17, 02, that I contact you with this project. I am not a =
computer expert like him but just try to build up a list of people =
interested in their libertarian CD-ROM options - large enough so that =
finally self-selected and self-managed groups among those listed will =
come to tackle their particular CD-ROM issue with the material they like =
most.=20
Presently the list is being placed on one website, that of DAGNY, of =
freedomworld: www.freedomworld.org=20
Possibly it will also soon appear on the www.butterbach.net and via =
Hubert Jongen on the website of European Libertarians and, hopefully, on =
at least one of them will have a self-entry program, so that the list =
gets the chance to grow fast and almost automatically to the stage where =
it would make itself superfluous, as is now a list for the use of =
CD-ROMs for software, games, music, directories and encyclopedias.=20

In my libertarian PEACE PLANS series I have published, but only on =
microfilm, Bastiat's works, in French, on only 6 microfiche, available =
for US $ 6 cash, also many others of his writings and on Bastiat, in =
English, German and French.
Moreover, there are numerous texts on Free Trade.

PIOT, John Zube
(Panarchy In Our Time or: To each the government or non-governmental =
society of his or her dreams.
The word was first used, in this sense, by P. E. De Puydt, in his essay =
Panarchie, in the REVUE TRIMESTRIELLE, Bruxelles, July 1860. He was a =
very radical and consistent laissez faire advocate. Now it can be found =
e.g. in www.panarchy.org in several languages.)

John Zube, LIBERTARIAN MICROFICHE PUBLISHING, P.O. Box 52 or 35 Oxley =
St., Berrima, NSW 2577, Australia, e-mail: jzube@acenet.com.au Tel. (02) =
48 771 436. No FAX! Website: www.acenet.com.au/~jzube=20
LMP's website offers a 2,000 pages (almost 5 Mbs) guide to the PEACE =
PLANS issues that LMP has produced since 1977, containing, on about =
500,000 pages, libertarian and anarchist books, pamphlets, magazines, =
newsletters, dissertations, bibliographies, directories, indexes, essays =
& articles, letter, review & leaflet collections, etc., with an average =
of over 300 pages per microfiche: $ 1 cash each, post-free for orders of =
at least 10, or 2 International Reply Coupons or $ 2 other non-cash, =
with small cheques not accepted. Has any other individual published more =
freedom texts, more cheaply, in any medium? Probably Dr. David Hart has, =
recently, when he published, before he heard about my CD-ROM initiative, =
4 CD-ROMs containing classical liberal writings and he has over 2 Gbs in =
readiness for further such issues. Anyone else? A supplementary LMP list =
for Peace Plans 1546-1620 can be found on: http://www.butterbach.net  =
1768Peace Plans issues by June 2002.
=3D=3D=3D

WILL 300 LIBERTARIAN CD-ROMS BE ENOUGH?=20
HOW MANY LIBERTARIANS DOES IT TAKE TO FILL A CD-ROM?=20

How many libertarian Mbs can and will you contribute towards a complete =
libertarian publishing, library & information service on ca. 300 =
CD-ROMs, with all the desirable reference works, linked, like the =
Encyclopaedia Britannica on CD-ROM, to Internet sites? Get entered in =
the still small but growing list of interested people for the =
cooperative filling of CD-ROMs, all produced only upon demand. They are, =
currently, still the cheapest, easiest, most powerful, wide-spread & =
durable enough alternative medium for all freedom books etc. For further =
details see: www.geocities.com/libertarian_library/  or write to me. - =
PIOT, John Zube, Libertarian Microfiche Publishing: =
www.acenet.com.au/~jzube & http://butterbach.net/lmp/lmp_sup.htm  -  =
jzube@acenet.com.au - or: P.O. Box 52 (35 Oxley St.) Berrima, NSW 2577, =
Australia, Tel.: (02) 48771436. No fax!

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

CDROM628words

LIBERTARIAN CD-ROM PUBLISHING & LIBERTARIAN LIBRARY

WHAT?=20
Complete libertarian publishing library & information services for all =
freedom texts not yet cheaply, permanently & easily accessible in any =
medium, supplementing & listing all of freedom texts etc. offered in all =
media, or cheaply combining them, with permission, if required.

BY WHAT MEANS?=20
CD-ROMs, zipped, later DVDs, then still better disks, until all freedom =
texts can be found on the Internet & large & multiple websites are easy, =
fast & cheap enough to set up, maintain & download
A public & growing list indicating all interested & inviting independent =
collaboration or competition.
CD-ROM disks, drives & burners are already wide-spread & cheap. CD-ROMs =
are commercially pressed for as little as 50 cents. Each can contain, =
zipped, 200 to 2,000 book titles. A lifetime's freedom reading on a mere =
10 CD-ROMs! A  complete freedom library on perhaps no more than 300 =
CD-ROMs!=20
Filling them will not only require extensive downloading & e-mailing of =
already digitized texts but also extensive digitizing, mainly as a =
labour of love. Luckily, scanners have become cheap & efficient & =
division of labour for large jobs is an ancient invention.

WHO? =20
Anyone interested in contributing libertarian Mbs, keyboarding, =
scanning, proof-reading, editing & computer skills & copyrights =
permissions. CD-ROMs, like microfiche & floppies, are essentially =
self-help media but do mostly need collaborators to fill them. With =
cheap, lasting, powerful & efficient alternative media anyone can be a =
publisher, editor & compiler.

HOW? =20
By keyboarding, scanning, downloading, alone or in association with =
others. Sending Kbs & Mbs on floppies, partly filled CD-ROMs or via =
e-mail - to the compilers of CD-ROMs.=20
By dividing the chores of e.g. digitizing whole books into manageable =
portions between those who like a particular book.=20
By collaborating with & publicizing all who have already taken steps in =
this direction. See the slowly growing list of interested people.

WHY?=20
Because it is possible now, affordable, & achievable by enough =
interested people.=20
We could use all our resources at our fingertips. We have never had them =
yet. On CD-ROMs they could be made  cheaply & conveniently accessible & =
linked to current websites. In combination they could be rather useful.  =
Sufficient knowledge could give us considerable influence.=20
Climbing the mountains of liberty knowledge would not only provide us =
with a great view but also realistic blueprints, the best programs, =
strategies, tactics, advice, refutations & references. Remaining =
disagreements would come closer to being settled. All valuable ideas, =
discoveries, talents & opportunities could be brought to light & made =
widely accessible. The Internet can do much but not yet everything or =
optimally.

WHEN?
As soon as the growing list of interested people contains enough =
libertarian Mbs to fill the first libertarian & cooperatively compiled =
CD-ROM.=20

PRECEDENTS, DEMONSTRATIONS, EXAMPLES:
Few will be as productive with this medium as Dr. David Hart has already =
been, who produced 4 CD-ROMs on his own, mainly on classical French =
Liberalism.
Compare Encyclopaedia Britannica & The Library of the Future, each on =
one CD-ROM. The latter contains over 5,000 titles, not all book-sized, =
but includes some freedom texts.=20
There are thousands of music, games & software CD-ROMs.=20
It's high time for more libertarians to use of this freedom of =
expression & information opportunity, at least for freedom texts not yet =
otherwise available. =20
                    PIOT, John Zube, 3rd of October 2001.
 (PIOT: Panarchy In Our Time or: To each the government or =
non-governmental society of his or her dreams!)
                                  CONTACTS:
John Zube, LIBERTARIAN MICROFICHE PUBLISHING, since 1977, Libertarian =
PEACE PLANS series since 1964:
www.acenet.com.au/~jzube=20
Supplementary LMP list: http://www.butterbach.net=20
jzube@acenet.com.au=20
Also: Research Centre for Monetary Freedom, On Panarchy, Slogans for =
Liberty. 1743 PEACE PLANS issues so far (March 2002) ca. 500,000 pages.
John Humphreys, LIBERTARIAN LIBRARY: =
www.geocities.com/libertarian_library/=20
AUSTRALIAN LIBERTARIAN SOCIETY: www.geocities.com/libertarian_society=20
libertarian_aust1@yahoo.com   Also: ALS e-Newsletter &  ALS Forum

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Dear John,

> Microfiche readers come in all sizes [...]
I think you should put this information on a special page your site,
and specify the URL together with all your advertisement -- knowing
how cheap/easy getting a reader is might make the difference between
buying your information and throwing your email away.

Until I have a stable home, I don't intend to acquire one,
but now that you gave me this information, I think about getting
a reader (and your fiches) when I am settled.

> My site was already coming too close to the limit for my website =
provider
> and so I could not even include my supplementary literature listings =
there
> or the long links lists I would have liked to add.
If you lack web space, I suppose I could offer you some on bastiat.org.

> I have neither the time nor the energy nor the funds to convert my
> collection into digitized texts, since about half a million pages are
> involved.
Maybe you could sell as a service the scanning of texts that some people
would like to have.

> I still believe that a single CD-ROM of the works of Bastiat in =
French,
> English, German, Spanish, Italian, perhaps even in Russian, Japanese =
and
> Chinese, would be one of the best ways to offer his writings VERY =
cheaply to
> all of the masses (now equipped with PCs with a CD-ROM drive) and all =
of the
> intellectuals or serious readers who would be interested in them.

If you publish such a CD, then I encourage you to include all the =
literature
digitized on bastiat.org (and there are also on the web a few e-text =
that
bastiat.org points to but doesn't host). As for what is on econlib.org,
you need the approval of the FEE and/or Liberty Fund, by I think you can =
have
it (if they refuse it, let me know -- I know someone who could change =
their
mind). Oh, and I know quite a few persons, including me, who are willing =
buy such a CD.

> 200-2,000 books can be put onto a single CD-ROM.
Well, it depends on whether they are digitized as full-text or as
scanned images. Using proper compression, The former typically takes
under 1KB per page, and the latter between 40 and 50KB per page,
so in one case you can put 600,000 pages on a CD, and in the latter,
only 13,000.

> Mobilizing many Bastiat fans for this task, in a division of labor =
process,
> should be possible. They could also be induced to agree on a common =
format
> for these texts, like plain text or RTF, both with very low usage of =
Mbs.
All the texts translated by FEE are now available as HTML fro =
www.econlib.org
I know that they have some SGML sources from which better editions could =
be
generated. The original texts in French that I and others have digitized =
are
in HTML, but could be processed into something else. I think that HTML =
is
a better choice than either plain text or RTF.

> One of the personal incentives for them could be that they could add =
some
> personal comments to the texts they scanned in, also for publication, =
in the
> same way as Amazon bookshop offers reader comments on its website
> advertisements for book titles.
<blush> I admit I do that already (in my french editions).

> Another CD-ROM might offer all of the writings for Free Trade, with an =
> that would point out the best refutations, contained in them, to all =
the
> popular fallacies on the subject.
That would be a colossal work, too.

> Such works do not have to be provided by individuals but can be =
compiled via
> e-mail collaboration among many interested people [...]
Considering my experience with digitizing Bastiat's original works
(in French), I can tell you that motivating a large team of volunteers
is quite a difficult task (not much has been digitized last year).
That said, a definite goal - getting a CD published - might help
motivate them.

> Perhaps a group of Bastiat fans might even want to tackle the task of
> completing the job he had begun with his ECONOMIC HARMONIES, between =
them
> widening and updating the scope of this masterpiece to a degree of
> perfection that he would have welcomed. So far this kind of evidence =
and
> writings is still all too dispersed and unknown.
That would be great, but sequels are not an easy task to do right,
and I prefer it not done than done wrong.

> Since you like laissez faire economics, you might like the article by
> dePuydt on Panarchy, which has been reproduced in the French original =
and in
> English, German, Italian on www.panarchy.org
Thanks for the tip! I'll have a look on this site.

> [...]
Hum. Looks like I have a lot of libertarian reading ahead.
Unhappily, I also must finish my PhD thesis in computer science,
so I fear I will remain more ignorant about libertarianism than I =
should,
at least for the upcoming months.

PS: I couldn't read your .doc attachments (yet); I usually prefer URLs =
attachments, and HTML to DOC. But that's ok.

Yours freely,

[ Fran=E7ois-Ren=E9 =D0VB Rideau | Reflection&Cybernethics | =
http://fare.tunes.org ]
[  TUNES project for a Free Reflective Computing System  | =
http://tunes.org  ]
The major advances in civilization are processes that all but wreck the
societies in which they occur.
-- A.N. Whitehead

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C22923.A59CB520

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Dear Bastiat fans,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
&nbsp;Francois-Rene Rideau recommended in an e-mail of Jan. 17, 02, that =
I=20
contact you with this project. I am not a computer expert like him but =
just try=20
to build up a list of people interested in their libertarian CD-ROM =
options -=20
large enough so that finally self-selected and self-managed groups among =
those=20
listed will come to tackle their particular CD-ROM issue with the =
material they=20
like most. </DIV>
<DIV>Presently the list is being placed on one website, that of DAGNY, =
of=20
freedomworld: <A =
href=3D"http://www.freedomworld.org">www.freedomworld.org</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV>Possibly it will also soon appear on the <A=20
href=3D"http://www.butterbach.net">www.butterbach.net</A> and via Hubert =
Jongen on=20
the website of European Libertarians and, hopefully, on at least one of =
them=20
will have&nbsp;a self-entry program, so that the list gets the chance to =
grow=20
fast and almost automatically to the stage where it would make itself=20
superfluous, as is now a list for the use of CD-ROMs for software, =
games, music,=20
directories and encyclopedias. </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In my libertarian PEACE PLANS series I have published, but only on=20
microfilm, Bastiat's works, in French, on only 6 microfiche, available =
for US $=20
6 cash, also many others of his writings and on Bastiat, in English, =
German and=20
French.</DIV>
<DIV>Moreover, there are numerous texts on Free Trade.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PIOT, John Zube</DIV>
<DIV>(Panarchy In Our Time or: To each the government or =
non-governmental=20
society of his or her dreams.</DIV>
<DIV>The word was first used, in this sense, by P. E. De Puydt, in his =
essay=20
Panarchie, in the REVUE TRIMESTRIELLE, Bruxelles, July 1860. He was a =
very=20
radical and consistent laissez faire advocate. Now it can be found e.g. =
in <A=20
href=3D"http://www.panarchy.org">www.panarchy.org</A> in several =
languages.)</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><BR>John Zube, LIBERTARIAN MICROFICHE PUBLISHING, P.O. Box 52 or 35 =
Oxley=20
St., Berrima, NSW 2577, Australia, e-mail: <A=20
href=3D"mailto:jzube@acenet.com.au">jzube@acenet.com.au</A> Tel. (02) 48 =
771 436.=20
No FAX! Website: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.acenet.com.au/~jzube">www.acenet.com.au/~jzube</A> =
<BR>LMP's=20
website offers a 2,000 pages (almost 5 Mbs) guide to the PEACE PLANS =
issues that=20
LMP has produced since 1977, containing, on about 500,000 pages, =
libertarian and=20
anarchist books, pamphlets, magazines, newsletters, dissertations,=20
bibliographies, directories, indexes, essays &amp; articles, letter, =
review=20
&amp; leaflet collections, etc., with an average of over 300 pages per=20
microfiche: $ 1 cash each, post-free for orders of at least 10, or 2=20
International Reply Coupons or $ 2 other non-cash, with small cheques =
not=20
accepted. Has any other individual published more freedom texts, more =
cheaply,=20
in any medium? Probably Dr. David Hart has, recently, when he published, =
before=20
he heard about my CD-ROM initiative, 4 CD-ROMs containing classical =
liberal=20
writings and he has over 2 Gbs in readiness for further such issues. =
Anyone=20
else? A supplementary LMP list for Peace Plans 1546-1620 can be found =
on: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.butterbach.net">http://www.butterbach.net</A>&nbsp; =
1768Peace=20
Plans issues by June=20
2002.<BR>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>WILL 300 LIBERTARIAN CD-ROMS BE ENOUGH? <BR>HOW MANY LIBERTARIANS =
DOES IT=20
TAKE TO FILL A CD-ROM? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>How many libertarian Mbs can and will you contribute towards a =
complete=20
libertarian publishing, library &amp; information service on ca. 300 =
CD-ROMs,=20
with all the desirable reference works, linked, like the Encyclopaedia=20
Britannica on CD-ROM, to Internet sites? Get entered in the still small =
but=20
growing list of interested people for the cooperative filling of =
CD-ROMs, all=20
produced only upon demand. They are, currently, still the cheapest, =
easiest,=20
most powerful, wide-spread &amp; durable enough alternative medium for =
all=20
freedom books etc. For further details see: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.geocities.com/libertarian_library/">www.geocities.com/=
libertarian_library/</A>&nbsp;=20
or write to me. - PIOT, John Zube, Libertarian Microfiche Publishing: <A =

href=3D"http://www.acenet.com.au/~jzube">www.acenet.com.au/~jzube</A> =
&amp; <A=20
href=3D"http://butterbach.net/lmp/lmp_sup.htm">http://butterbach.net/lmp/=
lmp_sup.htm</A>&nbsp;=20
-&nbsp; <A href=3D"mailto:jzube@acenet.com.au">jzube@acenet.com.au</A> - =
or: P.O.=20
Box 52 (35 Oxley St.) Berrima, NSW 2577, Australia, Tel.: (02) 48771436. =
No=20
fax!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>CDROM628words</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>LIBERTARIAN CD-ROM PUBLISHING &amp; LIBERTARIAN LIBRARY</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>WHAT? <BR>Complete libertarian publishing library &amp; information =

services for all freedom texts not yet cheaply, permanently &amp; easily =

accessible in any medium, supplementing &amp; listing all of freedom =
texts etc.=20
offered in all media, or cheaply combining them, with permission, if=20
required.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>BY WHAT MEANS? <BR>CD-ROMs, zipped, later DVDs, then still better =
disks,=20
until all freedom texts can be found on the Internet &amp; large &amp; =
multiple=20
websites are easy, fast &amp; cheap enough to set up, maintain &amp;=20
download<BR>A public &amp; growing list indicating all interested &amp; =
inviting=20
independent collaboration or competition.<BR>CD-ROM disks, drives &amp; =
burners=20
are already wide-spread &amp; cheap. CD-ROMs are commercially pressed =
for as=20
little as 50 cents. Each can contain, zipped, 200 to 2,000 book titles. =
A=20
lifetime's freedom reading on a mere 10 CD-ROMs! A&nbsp; complete =
freedom=20
library on perhaps no more than 300 CD-ROMs! <BR>Filling them will not =
only=20
require extensive downloading &amp; e-mailing of already digitized texts =
but=20
also extensive digitizing, mainly as a labour of love. Luckily, scanners =
have=20
become cheap &amp; efficient &amp; division of labour for large jobs is =
an=20
ancient invention.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>WHO?&nbsp; <BR>Anyone interested in contributing libertarian Mbs,=20
keyboarding, scanning, proof-reading, editing &amp; computer skills =
&amp;=20
copyrights permissions. CD-ROMs, like microfiche &amp; floppies, are =
essentially=20
self-help media but do mostly need collaborators to fill them. With =
cheap,=20
lasting, powerful &amp; efficient alternative media anyone can be a =
publisher,=20
editor &amp; compiler.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>HOW?&nbsp; <BR>By keyboarding, scanning, downloading, alone or in=20
association with others. Sending Kbs &amp; Mbs on floppies, partly =
filled=20
CD-ROMs or via e-mail - to the compilers of CD-ROMs. <BR>By dividing the =
chores=20
of e.g. digitizing whole books into manageable portions between those =
who like a=20
particular book. <BR>By collaborating with &amp; publicizing all who =
have=20
already taken steps in this direction. See the slowly growing list of =
interested=20
people.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>WHY? <BR>Because it is possible now, affordable, &amp; achievable =
by enough=20
interested people. <BR>We could use all our resources at our fingertips. =
We have=20
never had them yet. On CD-ROMs they could be made&nbsp; cheaply &amp;=20
conveniently accessible &amp; linked to current websites. In combination =
they=20
could be rather useful.&nbsp; Sufficient knowledge could give us =
considerable=20
influence. <BR>Climbing the mountains of liberty knowledge would not =
only=20
provide us with a great view but also realistic blueprints, the best =
programs,=20
strategies, tactics, advice, refutations &amp; references. Remaining=20
disagreements would come closer to being settled. All valuable ideas,=20
discoveries, talents &amp; opportunities could be brought to light &amp; =
made=20
widely accessible. The Internet can do much but not yet everything or=20
optimally.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>WHEN?<BR>As soon as the growing list of interested people contains =
enough=20
libertarian Mbs to fill the first libertarian &amp; cooperatively =
compiled=20
CD-ROM. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>PRECEDENTS, DEMONSTRATIONS, EXAMPLES:<BR>Few will be as productive =
with=20
this medium as Dr. David Hart has already been, who produced 4 CD-ROMs =
on his=20
own, mainly on classical French Liberalism.<BR>Compare Encyclopaedia =
Britannica=20
&amp; The Library of the Future, each on one CD-ROM. The latter contains =
over=20
5,000 titles, not all book-sized, but includes some freedom texts. =
<BR>There are=20
thousands of music, games &amp; software CD-ROMs. <BR>It's high time for =
more=20
libertarians to use of this freedom of expression &amp; information =
opportunity,=20
at least for freedom texts not yet otherwise available.&nbsp;=20
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
PIOT, John Zube, 3rd of October 2001.<BR>&nbsp;(PIOT: Panarchy In Our =
Time or:=20
To each the government or non-governmental society of his or her=20
dreams!)<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
CONTACTS:<BR>John Zube, LIBERTARIAN MICROFICHE PUBLISHING, since 1977,=20
Libertarian PEACE PLANS series since 1964:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.acenet.com.au/~jzube">www.acenet.com.au/~jzube</A>=20
<BR>Supplementary LMP list: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.butterbach.net">http://www.butterbach.net</A> <BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:jzube@acenet.com.au">jzube@acenet.com.au</A> <BR>Also: =
Research=20
Centre for Monetary Freedom, On Panarchy, Slogans for Liberty. 1743 =
PEACE PLANS=20
issues so far (March 2002) ca. 500,000 pages.<BR>John Humphreys, =
LIBERTARIAN=20
LIBRARY: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.geocities.com/libertarian_library/">www.geocities.com/=
libertarian_library/</A>=20
<BR>AUSTRALIAN LIBERTARIAN SOCIETY: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.geocities.com/libertarian_society">www.geocities.com/l=
ibertarian_society</A>=20
<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:libertarian_aust1@yahoo.com">libertarian_aust1@yahoo.com</=
A>&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Also: ALS e-Newsletter &amp;&nbsp; ALS Forum</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Dear John,<BR><BR>&gt; Microfiche readers come in all sizes =
[...]<BR>I=20
think you should put this information on a special page your =
site,<BR>and=20
specify the URL together with all your advertisement -- knowing<BR>how=20
cheap/easy getting a reader is might make the difference =
between<BR>buying your=20
information and throwing your email away.<BR><BR>Until I have a stable =
home, I=20
don't intend to acquire one,<BR>but now that you gave me this =
information, I=20
think about getting<BR>a reader (and your fiches) when I am =
settled.<BR><BR>&gt;=20
My site was already coming too close to the limit for my website=20
provider<BR>&gt; and so I could not even include my supplementary =
literature=20
listings there<BR>&gt; or the long links lists I would have liked to =
add.<BR>If=20
you lack web space, I suppose I could offer you some on =
bastiat.org.<BR><BR>&gt;=20
I have neither the time nor the energy nor the funds to convert =
my<BR>&gt;=20
collection into digitized texts, since about half a million pages =
are<BR>&gt;=20
involved.<BR>Maybe you could sell as a service the scanning of texts =
that some=20
people<BR>would like to have.<BR><BR>&gt; I still believe that a single =
CD-ROM=20
of the works of Bastiat in French,<BR>&gt; English, German, Spanish, =
Italian,=20
perhaps even in Russian, Japanese and<BR>&gt; Chinese, would be one of =
the best=20
ways to offer his writings VERY cheaply to<BR>&gt; all of the masses =
(now=20
equipped with PCs with a CD-ROM drive) and all of the<BR>&gt; =
intellectuals or=20
serious readers who would be interested in them.<BR>&gt;<BR>If you =
publish such=20
a CD, then I encourage you to include all the literature<BR>digitized on =

bastiat.org (and there are also on the web a few e-text =
that<BR>bastiat.org=20
points to but doesn't host). As for what is on econlib.org,<BR>you need =
the=20
approval of the FEE and/or Liberty Fund, by I think you can have<BR>it =
(if they=20
refuse it, let me know -- I know someone who could change =
their<BR>mind). Oh,=20
and I know quite a few persons, including me, who are willing to<BR>buy =
such a=20
CD.<BR><BR>&gt; 200-2,000 books can be put onto a single =
CD-ROM.<BR>Well, it=20
depends on whether they are digitized as full-text or as<BR>scanned =
images.=20
Using proper compression, The former typically takes<BR>under 1KB per =
page, and=20
the latter between 40 and 50KB per page,<BR>so in one case you can put =
600,000=20
pages on a CD, and in the latter,<BR>only 13,000.<BR><BR>&gt; Mobilizing =
many=20
Bastiat fans for this task, in a division of labor process,<BR>&gt; =
should be=20
possible. They could also be induced to agree on a common format<BR>&gt; =
for=20
these texts, like plain text or RTF, both with very low usage of =
Mbs.<BR>All the=20
texts translated by FEE are now available as HTML fro <A=20
href=3D"http://www.econlib.org">www.econlib.org</A><BR>I know that they =
have some=20
SGML sources from which better editions could be<BR>generated. The =
original=20
texts in French that I and others have digitized are<BR>in HTML, but =
could be=20
processed into something else. I think that HTML is<BR>a better choice =
than=20
either plain text or RTF.<BR><BR>&gt; One of the personal incentives for =
them=20
could be that they could add some<BR>&gt; personal comments to the texts =
they=20
scanned in, also for publication, in the<BR>&gt; same way as Amazon =
bookshop=20
offers reader comments on its website<BR>&gt; advertisements for book=20
titles.<BR>&lt;blush&gt; I admit I do that already (in my french=20
editions).<BR><BR>&gt; Another CD-ROM might offer all of the writings =
for Free=20
Trade, with an index<BR>&gt; that would point out the best refutations,=20
contained in them, to all the<BR>&gt; popular fallacies on the =
subject.<BR>That=20
would be a colossal work, too.<BR><BR>&gt; Such works do not have to be =
provided=20
by individuals but can be compiled via<BR>&gt; e-mail collaboration =
among many=20
interested people [...]<BR>Considering my experience with digitizing =
Bastiat's=20
original works<BR>(in French), I can tell you that motivating a large =
team of=20
volunteers<BR>is quite a difficult task (not much has been digitized =
last=20
year).<BR>That said, a definite goal - getting a CD published - might=20
help<BR>motivate them.<BR><BR>&gt; Perhaps a group of Bastiat fans might =
even=20
want to tackle the task of<BR>&gt; completing the job he had begun with =
his=20
ECONOMIC HARMONIES, between them<BR>&gt; widening and updating the scope =
of this=20
masterpiece to a degree of<BR>&gt; perfection that he would have =
welcomed. So=20
far this kind of evidence and<BR>&gt; writings is still all too =
dispersed and=20
unknown.<BR>That would be great, but sequels are not an easy task to do=20
right,<BR>and I prefer it not done than done wrong.<BR><BR>&gt; Since =
you like=20
laissez faire economics, you might like the article by<BR>&gt; dePuydt =
on=20
Panarchy, which has been reproduced in the French original and =
in<BR>&gt;=20
English, German, Italian on <A=20
href=3D"http://www.panarchy.org">www.panarchy.org</A><BR>Thanks for the =
tip! I'll=20
have a look on this site.<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&gt; [...]<BR>Hum. Looks like I have a lot of libertarian reading=20
ahead.<BR>Unhappily, I also must finish my PhD thesis in computer =
science,<BR>so=20
I fear I will remain more ignorant about libertarianism than I =
should,<BR>at=20
least for the upcoming months.<BR><BR>PS: I couldn't read your .doc =
attachments=20
(yet); I usually prefer URLs to<BR>attachments, and HTML to DOC. But =
that's=20
ok.<BR><BR>Yours freely,<BR><BR>[ Fran=E7ois-Ren=E9 =D0VB Rideau |=20
Reflection&amp;Cybernethics | <A=20
href=3D"http://fare.tunes.org">http://fare.tunes.org</A> ]<BR>[&nbsp; =
TUNES=20
project for a Free Reflective Computing System&nbsp; | <A=20
href=3D"http://tunes.org">http://tunes.org</A>&nbsp; ]<BR>The major =
advances in=20
civilization are processes that all but wreck the<BR>societies in which =
they=20
occur.<BR>-- A.N. Whitehead</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C22923.A59CB520--