pensions and natality

quinn quinn@stuart.iit.edu
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:35:11 -0500

Well I am an American economist and I seem to agree with my French
economist colleague.

The thing utterly ignored by my friend Fare is the effect of
the source and use of wealth on the relative quantities of
production and consumption.  This is the same error made by
supporters of communism.

In other words, if I have to pay taxes to support a bunch of
people I don't know nor care about, I will adjust my behavior
with one of my goals being minimization of taxes paid.  This
will (of course) result in difficulty in collecting adequate
taxes.  The spinoff effect from conflicting incentives is
a reduction in efficient economic activity generally.

And of course the recipients will enjoy wringing as much from the
labor of others.  Here in America, the American Association of
Retired Persons is a huge political bloc.  Its current members
receive far more wealth from our Social Security system than
they ever contributed.

These factors tend to increase consumption by those eligible for
benefits and increase tax avoidance and noncompliance by those
we are counting on to provide the benefits.  We see the results
in America.  Our Social Security "system" is a huge fraud.

So how are the elderly to be supported otherwise?  By their own
kin.  Ultimately their children and grandchildren.  If the
children are economically productive, they will be able to provide
the support needed.  As a father I am now aware of how good it
is for kids to have their grandparents around.  So these older
people will return value to their families (unless perhaps their
health is totally broken.)  In other words, there is a benefit
to family togetherness that perhaps does not come through in
certain economic analyses but is partially explainable by
normal incentive-based analysis.

What if there are too many children and the population explodes?
That's what Malthus asked and his theories have not yet been
supported by observable evidence.

David Quinn

up.