Metaprogramming and Free Availability of Sources

iepos@tunes.org iepos@tunes.org
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:30:21 -0700 (PDT)

>     But there is no absolute natural right to access other people's information.
>
> I agree that privacy is an important right, and I would object to any
> law requiring people to release all software that they write.
>
> But when someone chooses to make a program available in some way, it
> is no longer a matter of privacy.  Then he or she should be required
> to show users what is in the software they are being invited to use.

You seem to be suggesting that we (or the government) have the right to
punish someone if they make software available without source code.
I don't see that as justified at all; after all, it is not an act of
agression, and you don't have to get the software if you don't want to;
you can just pretend it isn't there (get software from a competitor who
does release their source code)

On the other hand, in the absense of copyright, most people would release
their source code voluntarily, because they have basically nothing to gain by
witholding it (except perhaps in the case of a software company selling
customized software; even then, customer demand would pressure them into
releasing their source code, or fall prey to the competition).

- iepos