Emergence of behavior through software

Alik Widge aswst16+@pitt.edu
Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:35:18 -0400

--On Wednesday, October 04, 2000, 9:21 AM -0700 btanksley@hifn.com wrote:

> Therefore, I would rather either
>
> 1) Claim that Tunes cannot be started until volition is achieved, and
> divert all work to discovering how to create software volition.
>
> 2) Base Tunes on something else.

Ah. That's another matter entirely. I do not hack on Tunes, and thus I can
offer no definite opinions on how it should be built. My argument is solely
to establish the idea that sentient software remains theoretically possible
although highly difficult and unproven. It is my highly uninformed opinion
that if you want to see actual progress on a system anytime in the next
twenty years, scrap volition and just implement some decent adaptive
heuristics with a good UI.