Emergence of behavior through software

Lynn H. Maxson lmaxson@pacbell.net
Fri, 06 Oct 2000 08:56:44 -0700 (PDT)

Fare wrote:
"Again, you insist on this trivial point that is completely
irrelevant to any debate regarding emerging systems and artificial
intelligence."

Irrelevant?  We have an agreement on this point.  The logical
implications of this agreement prove (1) that software does not
have a life of its own, (2) that no software executes
independently of its programmer(s), (3) that software utilizes
nothing extra regardless of our ability to understand or predict
the results.  In effect that emerging systems have the same causal
relationship to their source as non-emerging.  Now these are
claims that Fare entered into this debate.  If he agrees to this
irrelevant point, then he must agree to drop his claims for the
others.  Under the circumstances it hardly seems irrelevant.

This does not make emerging systems less entertaining, curious,
fascinating, useful, or challenging.  It does eliminate any
magical properties of randomness in software, pointing out the
difference in its "use" here (externally controlled) and its
occurrence in real world events.  There is a fundamental
difference between a "planned" random selection of software and
one which simply arises within the events occurring within the
process which is the real world (in which we participate).  The
one is a simulation, mimicry, with entirely different causes than
the other.  The one is a map.  The other is the territory.  Never
the twain shall meet.

As to the debate regarding emerging systems and artificial
intelligence I don't know of any regarding emerging systems,
except whether they possess "magical" properties.  With an
irrelevant agreement we have assurances that they do not.  Even
without them they seem to produce the same (useful, curious,
fascinating, challenging) results as before.<g>

With respect to artificial intelligence which version instills
debate?  Certainly not the current version based on logic
programming and rule-based logic engines and neural nets.  My own
project depends upon exploiting them within the software
development process to increase developer productivity and reduce
costs by orders of magnitude over current methods.

If you mean the version which replicates in software and a host
computer that which occurs in living organisms, specifically the
human organism, I know that there is some debate about whether it
is possible or not.  I won't say that it is impossible though I
lean toward the most highly improbable approaching impossible in
the extreme.  I am perfectly content not to consume the energy of
those who would pursue it.  Their task is difficult enough.

However, I do have a problem with your achieving "true" artificial
intelligence which leaves "purpose" untouched.  That implies that
these manifestations, dynamic aspects arising from the singular
process of the brain, i.e. the same causal energy, are somehow
separable and not intractably melded in terms of their source.
That leads me to believe that production of intrinsic intelligence
through software (if possible) must give rise to intrinsic purpose
as well.  I have no problem with that.  Just realise that it has
suddenly ceased to be a tool, a directed extension of a human
capability.  Why we would choose to pursue a non-tool use of
software and a host computer eludes me.  Whatever we think we
would solve with success is nothing compared to the problems it
presents.  You have to be careful of what you ask for as you may
get it.<g>

"NO. There is no absolute notion of "choice".  Volition, free
will, or whatever name you give to it, is a property of a system
with respect to its environment.  It is about a system's behavior
being largely determined by its own internal state rather than by
externally modifiable factors."

I don't think you grasp the real world at all.  In the real world
you are not separate from your environment, you don't end here and
have it begin there.  Whatever you are is part of that environment
as well.  Choice occurs in reaction to events, whether the
deliberate choice that we make to events at our level or what
occurs at the level of quanta.  Most definitely within all
software we have an absolute notion of choice, utterly predictable
regardless of whether we use random selection or not: the choice
has to be a path allowed in the logic.

Now internal state and externally modifiable may appear separately
linguistically, but no such separation occurs in the real world:
we are how we have reacted to our participation in the
environment.  We obtain life in this manner.  Choice.  Volition.
Emotion.  Whatever.

"That a system obeys its own rules is no offense to its own free
will."

This assumes that a system sets its rules independently of
external influences.  Specifically no software system ever written
established its rules independently.  Randomness in selection of a
data value or an instruction path doesn't change this.  We may not
know which selection may occur in a particular instance, but we
know absolutely the set of possible selections and data values
because we control them.  We have no known means of giving up that
control and passing it intact to the software.

As to the remainder of your response you offer much fuel for my
engine.  However, we have basic disagreements whose truth-value
remain somewhere into the future.  I have no desire to infuriate
you in any manner.  Thus let us agree to disagree, letting the
future have its feedback effect on our views.  It should not
affect our cooperating in the goals of Tunes.  I believe that it
is a French term for what will be will be.<g>  I do wish to thank
you for the time you have spent.