Computer Viruses

Francois-Rene Rideau Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org>
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 06:38:32 +0100

Dear cybernethicians,

I just wrote a 6000 words piece on the design of a computer virus
like it ought to exist so as to spread among free software systems
as easily as viruses spread among Windows machines.
	http://fare.tunes.org/articles/virus_design.html

It is actually a sequel to an article I wrote in french
	http://fare.tunes.org/articles/virus.html
that I don't feel like translating to english anymore (but would gladly
help someone who'd feel like it, starting from my partial summary)
	http://fare.tunes.org/articles/viruses.html
The article, "Les virus informatiques comme sous-produits des logiciels
exclusifs" ("Computer Viruses Are Caused By Proprietary Software")
relates the discrepancy in ease of virus penetration to the modes of
software distribution intrinsic to the two opposite approaches.

If you have suggestions as to how to enhance the article, and to where
to submit it for wider publication, please send me personal email.

Happy new year 2002,

The shipwreck survivor's law: after a catastrophe, only the survivors erect
votive shrines to thank deities for having saved them. The casualties don't
erect anti-shrines to spit their contempt at deities that did not save them.