[gclist] gc interface

boehm.PARC@xerox.com boehm.PARC@xerox.com
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:46:55 PST

"What is usually named "finalizer" outside the world of GC hackers is prompt
and sure finalization a la Ada."

As far as I know, that's a recent development in the Ada community, which
ignored previous usage of the term.  (There are published uses of the term
"finalizer" by the GC community for "no guarantees finalization"  dating back
to at least 1985.)  I've previously suggested that we stick with the term
"destructor" for "prompt finalizers".  It's already in much more common use.
(This is unavoidably also a bit confusing, since the two might be specified in
the same manner in some languages.  This is true for the Ellis-Detlefs C++
proposal.)

Hans-J. Boehm
Standard disclaimer ...