[gclist] gclist-digest V1 #40

Fergus Henderson fjh@mailhost.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 08:40:45 +1000 (EST)

Mark S. Riggle, you wrote:

> Does anyone know if the C++ standards committee, X3J16, is considering
> any proposals or entertaining discussions on adding garbage collection
> to C++?

Yes, I know.  No, they're not.

The committee did consider a proposal (by Greg Colvin, if I remember
correctly) a few years ago for some sort of garbage collected smart
pointer class, but the proposal was rejected.  A proposal for a
reference-counted smart pointer class was also rejected, by a very
narrow margin.

At this stage, there is absolutely no chance of including garbage
collection in C++ during this round of standardization.  However,
if anyone reading this list is keen on submitting a proposal,
the time is ripe for making proposals to the C standardization
committee, since work has begun on a new version of the C standard.

--
Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.