[gclist] Language behaviour wrt GC

Geert Bosch geert@sun3.iaf.nl
Thu, 05 Dec 96 19:42:47 +0100

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996 06:56:34 -0800 (PST), Henry G. Baker wrote:
>If you do a search of the Ada repository, you will find that most, if not
>all, of the 'pretty-printers' for Ada use a C-based parser, so Ada cannot
>even parse itself!

Although I intended not to react to the obvious flame-bait, I was afraid
that because of your name people might actually believe your posting is
based on facts or on sound reasoning, which is not the case.

First, there is a high-quality Ada95-compiler written in Ada. Obviously the
compiler parses Ada code. You can download binaries and sources from
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat. It is free, although you have to pay for support.

I cannot react to your DoD/USA government ranting as I live in another part
of the world where languages are not mandated by the government. Despite
that many languages other than C/C++, including Ada, are used in Europe.

If people get upset about me asking questions about implementing GC for
Ada and Modula, I might as well stop using this list as I'm not really
interested in language wars. I'm interested in discussing language behaviour
with respect to garbage collection.

When I suggested creating a garbage collection specific newsgroup/mailinglist
in comp.compilers, I really hoped that it would be possible to discuss
things like these.

Regards,
   Geert
-- e-mail: geert@sun3.iaf.nl