GC performance - was Re: [gclist] GC topics

Scott.Nettles@LDL.VENARI.CS.CMU.EDU Scott.Nettles@LDL.VENARI.CS.CMU.EDU
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 17:22 -EST

Actually, I tend to agree with you about the precise vs. conservative
issue, but I don't think it's a closed book. One bad tendency in the GC
world has been to have opinions and let that get in the way of getting
facts.  In the long run the only that we'll convince the broader
audience is to have facts. We're getting better at that.

Also, having GCs that let one use unpleasant languages helps to lever
the people using those languages into more pleasant ones. That in and
of itself is a good reason to study conservative collectors.

Scott