GC performance - was Re: [gclist] GC topics

Darius Blasband darius@phidani.be
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 01:00:11 +0100 (MET)

> Separating non-pointer-containing objects is crucial for a nonmoving collector
> running in limited physical memory.
This is indeed the case I am interested in.

> The collector does not need to see pages
> containing such objects.  In many environments they constitute the large
> majority of all allocated memory.  Thus this can greatly reduce the collector's
> VM footprint.  I don't know how to get the same benefit in a compacting or
> copying collector.

Doesn't the collector have to see them anyway to be able to mark them
in order to prevent them from being deallocated ? Admittedly, they
don't have to be scanned if talking of a conservative GC...

Darius