GC performance - was Re: [gclist] GC topics

Darius Blasband darius@phidani.be
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:24:49 +0100 (MET)

> We can allocate leaf objects. These land in separate pages from
> non leaf objects. This makes scanning much faster. In generating
> for YAFL you can tell leaf objects from non leaf objects and
> generate the proper malloc.

It sounds interesting, but I do not really understand where it
fits. It is true that since I can decide statically whether a
class has leafs or not, I can allocate leaf objects separately from
other objects pretty easily.

However, I don't see how I can turn this property into a performance
improvement... It is true that YAFL's commitment to precise GC
was to meant to support moving objects around to produce a linear
space for new allocations, but was dictated by ease of implementation
(I know that many people do not agree with this...) and reliability.

Please tell me more.

Darius