[gclist] Hello, I'm new to the list.

Richard Jones R.E.Jones@ukc.ac.uk
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 18:14:15 +0000

>I work for Geodesic Systems which makes a commercial garbage collector
>for C and C++ systems. Our products have started to take off. People
>are happier with them then I had ever expected.
>
>A typical comment is "I linked GCTransparent (our conservative collector)
>in with a buggy program and the bugs went away. Not only that it ran
>faster."
>
>I'm still totally mystified by the number of users who report code
>running faster. My best guess is they had storage leaks which caused
>paging.
>
>Anyway is there a way to get old postings on this list.

If there isn't an easier way, I could send you them as I've been keeping copies
(at least of the ones I found interesting). In principle at least I'd be
prepared to keep an archive for this list (though access across the Atlantic
is generally very slow these days).

Sometime real soon now (honest!), I shall make my GC bobliography available.
At the last count it had about 1250 references.

Richard Jones

Computing Laboratory                           Room SW107
University of Kent at Canterbury               Telephone: 01227 764000 ext.7943
Canterbury,                                               01227 827943 (direct)
CT2 7NF, U.K.                                  FAX: 01227 762811