[gclist] Compiler specialized GC's

Daniel C. Wang dw3u+@andrew.cmu.edu
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 12:12:15 -0500 (EST)

I'm curious if there's been any research for compiler supported, GC
specialization. That is has then been any work on compilers that at compile
time generate a specialized/GC runtime system to take advantage of program
specific properties. For example, if you don't mind losing modularity, one
could imagine a compiler analyzing all the different kind of heap objects a
program could allocate and hard coding a specialized GC that was specialized
to collect the object, rather than interpreting bitmaps or other type
information at runtime, one could also imagine using specialized copying
routines too, if you're gc scheme need to copy. I guess, my real question is
are these kind of optimizations going to be swamped by other factors like VM
interactions or tagging/untagging costs.

|     Daniel Wang      |
| dw3u+@andrew.cmu.edu |