[gclist] GC topics

Maurizio Vitale mav@cc.gatech.edu
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:19:16 -0500 (EST)

Darius Blasband writes:

 > No. I have no figures on the cost in terms of storage of GC, but we have a
 > complete performance analysis on the current implementation of the YAFL
 > programming language, and the results are interesting: if we remove all
 > reference to GC from the generated code, the total execution time of
 > the system drops to 70-80% of its original execution time (of course,
 > this is only for analysis purposes, such a system is barely usable, since
 > it just allocates memory and then crashes after a while...).

It seems to me that the situation is better for GC than it looks from
the figures above: If you remove GC and run until you've memory you're
getting the benefit of a quasi-zero cost allocator, but if you had a
real system using malloc/free you would pay for them and the cost is
not trascurable.

				Maurizio Vitale
|_______________| |  fax:    (404) 894-9846           | just doesn't see ?
 \_______________\|  PGP key:finger mav@cc.gatech.edu |  - Bob Dylan