[gclist] GC topics

John R Levine johnl@iecc.com
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 00:59:50 -0500 (EST)

OK, the gclist now has over 70 subscribers and nobody's had anything
to say yet.  Here's some topics that might be of interest (or might not):

 -- does anyone have any practical numbers on how much more or less storage
    GC'ed environments use than non-GC'ed.  On the one hand, there's always
    some dead storage not collected yet, but on the other hand there's no
    storage leaks

 -- what's the future for "bolt on" GC?  We know that conservative GC in
    languages like C usually works pretty well, even though in theory there's
    all sorts of horrible ways it could fail.  Are there reasonable ways to
    migrate from non-GC'ed to GC'ed environments?

 -- following a previous thread in comp.compilers, what does it mean for a
    language like C++ or Ada to have optional GC?  How can you write useful
    programs that will work portably with such a setup?

This isn't intended to enumerate all the possible topics, but rather to see
if I can flush out what topics people really care about.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@iecc.com, Trumansburg NY