[gclist] Distributed Garbage Collection Revisited 1

H.C.C.Rodrigues hccdr@ukc.ac.uk
Thu, 04 Jul 1996 12:14:21 +0100

Giuliano,

>First guess: You are concerned the local GC will affect a zombie's reachability
>graph. But, a local mutator can't affect a zombie's reachability graph, and thus
>the local GC won't either. Only recieving an RPC which mentions the zombie can
>cause a change in its graph. But, this marks the zombie as dirty, which will cause
>any back searches which contain the zombie to abort.
>
>Second guess: You are concerned that a local GC will recliam the bookkeeping for
>the back-searches or the dirty scion data. This is simply handled by making sure
>these are rooted in either a global variable, or from a scion.

Yes, this is what I mean. Mainely the problem of GC reclaiming the bookkeeping
for the back-searches or the dirty scion data.

>Thanks for you comments. I'm curious if you could tell us more about your approach?

My approach is based on partial tracing and groups. I will put it available,
or I will send you a copy.

Thank you.
Helena Rodrigues.