[gclist] Re: gclist-digest V1 #74

Marc Shapiro marc.shapiro@inria.fr
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:43:18 +0200

>From: matt@wdi.disney.com (Matthew Fuchs)
>Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 10:07:45 PDT
>Subject: Re: [gclist] Re: gclist-digest V1 #70
>
>The following was my response to Marc which shows why his scenario is
>incorrect.  The basic point is that we assume the IRG is constantly
>maintained, as per Marc's own work on SSP chains.

In SSP Chains, we only maintain an approximation of the remote inverse
graph.  That is, each site knows which site might point to it, but not
precisely which object holds the pointer.  Admittedly this information can
be found, but not without a cost.  Furthermore, we do not maintain any
local inverse graph information.  Doing so is hard.

                                        Marc