[gclist] Precise GC's performance

David Chase chase@centerline.com
Thu, 29 Feb 96 16:03:45 EST

When you do your benchmarks on the RISC machine, be sure to turn
up the optimization level as high as possible, and report both the
flags and the compiler and the version. Also, you should probably
perform multiple runs, both ways. (If at all possible, read the fine
manual first.  For Sun, with Sun's compilers, a good thing to say
is "-fast", perhaps "-fast -xO4" (Solaris) or "-fast -O4" (SunOS)).

I realize that this is onerous and a pain, but it is relatively easy
to get +/- 20% variation between compilers, compiler flag settings,
and one run and the next.

What I would expect to see is relatively little difference between
the two code generation styles at low levels of optimization, and
much more at higher levels of optimization.

Sorry to be such a nag about this, but paying attention to these
details will make the difference between dubious numbers, and very
interesting numbers.

David