[gclist] FAQ advice

Richard Jones R.E.Jones@ukc.ac.uk
Mon, 04 Mar 1996 11:52:28 +0000

>Minor question -- if I actually want to see a "<" ">" in an HTML
>document (as in <chase@centerline.com>), how do I do that?  I've
>been unable to locate this information in the HTML book that I've
>got. (replies to this question need not go to the entire list.)

You need to use &'s. Thus "<" is "&lt;". The ; is required.
More syntax can be found in
http://www.w3/org/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/Entities.html

As to the substantive, I do think that the Web is the way to go. Putting
the URL in each posting would also avoid "Where is the FAQ questions". The
only drawback to the Web (for Europeans at least) is its sloth, particularly
for transatlantic traffic. The US is often only available before the East
Coast gets up! We are pleased when transfer rates get into the hundreds of
bytes per second!

Richard Jones

Computing Laboratory                           Room SW107
University of Kent at Canterbury               Telephone: 01227 764000 ext.7943
Canterbury,                                               01227 827943 (direct)
CT2 7NF, U.K.                                  FAX: 01227 762811