[gclist] Web hosts for the FAQ

Richard Brooksby richard@harlequin.co.uk
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 16:10:21 +0000

Richard Jones <R.E.Jones@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:

> As to the substantive, I do think that the Web is the way to go. Putting
> the URL in each posting would also avoid "Where is the FAQ questions". The
> only drawback to the Web (for Europeans at least) is its sloth, particularly
> for transatlantic traffic. The US is often only available before the East
> Coast gets up! We are pleased when transfer rates get into the hundreds of
> bytes per second!

We'd like to offer to host the GC FAQ at Harlequin's WWW servers in both
the USA and the UK, and other sites (http://www.harlequin.com/ and
http://www.harlequin.co.uk/).   This would help to reduce the problems of
access times across the atlantic.  We'd also be glad to help with the web
pubishing side, and could maintain an FAQ in various formats, along with
other information.

As I discussed with various people at IWMM '95, we could put up a kind of
"Memory Management Home Page" with answers to FAQs, an archive of papers,
lists of links to other people's information (the utexas archive, Henry
Baker's pages, etc.)  We might be able to build this up to include a corpus
of trace data, a glossary, a case histories, pages on GC advocacy, and so
on.

One thing I think we discussed was to republish selected exemplary papers
on GC.  I think this would be an excellent thing to have on the Web as a
resource.  We could pick out, say, the ten most influnential and
ground-breaking papers and translate them to HTML.  Henry Baker said he
thought it would not be a problem to obtain permission from the ACM for
something like this.

We are open to suggestions and contributions.

What do people think?  Would this be a good thing?

---
Richard Brooksby <richard@harlequin.co.uk>
Manager & Developer / Memory Management / Symbolic Processing / Harlequin
Tel. Int. +44 1954 785451 (voice)  +44 1954 785444 (fax)