[gclist] Web hosts for the FAQ

Paul R. Wilson wilson@cs.utexas.edu
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:04:21 -0600

>From: David Chase <chase@centerline.com>
>
>I can merely tell them that they
>should worry more about their computer catching fire (1 incident)
>or their hardware silently doing wrong things (2 incidents, neither
>of them the Pentium), or bugs in their OS emulation of trapped instructions
>(2 incidents -- let's not get started on flaky network file protocols,
>or plain old hangs and crashes), or, gosh-golly, a compiler bug (countless
>incidents, including at least 2 that I myself accidentally put into
>a compiler in wide use in recent years). Anyhow, you get the picture.
>I'm not the right guy to write this stuff.

I dunno.  Sounds pretty good to me.  I'd say a verbatim quote of the
above (with a couple of sentences ahead of it, saying something like:

"While in theory, conservative garbage collection is not necessarily
correct, in practice its elimination of other bugs is far more important;
using a conservative GC dramatically reduces the incidence of bugs
relative to no GC at all.  In the real world, the extremely common
bugs due to manual storage allocation errors are vastly more common
than errors in conservative pointer-finding.  The illustrious David
Chase once said..."