[gclist] Treadmill doubly-linked list costs

Jerry Leichter leichter@smarts.com
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 09:56:36 -0500

A number of people have asked how my proposal to use a single pointer field with the treadmill algorithm could work.

It wouldn't; at least, I don't know of any method, now that the problem has
been pointed out.  I missed the obvious.  Sorry 'bout that.

(It's actually kind of funny:  The *collector* part of the treadmill algorithm
works just fine.  It's the *mutator* that has problems.  As someone said (Henry
Baker?), both the collector and the mutator repeatedly walk all of accessible
memory; the collector is just more organized about it.  It's exactly because of
that that it can manage with XOR'ed pointers!  Only in the context of the GC
list could one so concentrate on the collector as to forget the mutator - where
the actual work of the program goes on!)
							-- Jerry