[gclist] this list vs. newsgroup

Arthur Chance Arthur.Chance@Smallworld.co.uk
Thu, 7 Mar 96 16:32:30 GMT

> From: John R Levine <johnl@iecc.com>

> Do keep in mind that if there's an unmoderated newsgroup, we're going to
> see a fair number of messages along the lines of "what is GC?", "GC is
> stupid, just free what you're done with", and "what's this group about?"

What about having the group moderated by a program with a subscription
list? The first time anyone posts an article they get pointed at the
FAQ(s) and told how to register. Anyone registered has their articles
automatically approved by the moderator program, so for subscribers it
acts as if unmoderated. Any crossposted articles simply get rejected
without details of registration as a spam prevention measure.