[gclist] this list vs. newsgroup

David Bruce dib@signal.dra.hmg.gb
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 16:37:57 GMT

(   > The volume on this list is getting quite large.  I suggest we transform it
 )  > into a newsgroup.

Hear, hear!  (My news reader's better than my mail reader, anyway.)

 )  No great objection here.  Feel free to write up a CFD for
(   comp.compilers.gc and send it out.  See news.groups for some monthly
 )  postings describing the details.

What's wrong with comp.gc?    (better still, comp.garbage (:-), I think))

The list's heritage may have been comp.compilers, but the topic is
quite general and at least as much a language issue as a compiler one.

(   Do keep in mind that if there's an unmoderated newsgroup, we're going to
 )  see a fair number of messages along the lines of "what is GC?", "GC is
(   stupid, just free what you're done with", and "what's this group about?"

Critique #2 is a bit of a pain, but apart from that is it so bad?  Are you
saying we should pass up the opportunity to educate the unconverted? :-)

    David Bruce