[gclist] this list vs. newsgroup

Charles Fiterman cef@geode.geodesic.com
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 13:48:22 -0600

> > Do keep in mind that if there's an unmoderated newsgroup, we're going to
> > see a fair number of messages along the lines of "what is GC?", "GC is
> > stupid, just free what you're done with", and "what's this group about?"
>
> What about having the group moderated by a program with a subscription
> list? The first time anyone posts an article they get pointed at the
> FAQ(s) and told how to register. Anyone registered has their articles
> automatically approved by the moderator program, so for subscribers it
> acts as if unmoderated. Any crossposted articles simply get rejected
> without details of registration as a spam prevention measure.

Our group is a logical for crossposting to comp.lang.misc comp.object
comp.lang.c++ comp.lang.scheme comp.lang.eiffel ... . There was a long
thread on comp.object titled "OO without gargage collection is nonsense."
Would you really want to forbid the cross posting of that thread?

I think unmoderated groups work well for those with trn or better.
You can easily select out stuff. If it becomes a problem we work on it.
The big problem is getting enough yes votes.