[gclist] Destructor functions and GC (contains new, I think, idea)

Mike Spertus mps@geode.geodesic.com
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 13:40:58 -0600

> I guess I'm taking the stance that it is possible to obviate the issue
> by proper language design, and that the great hairiness associated with
> the semantics of finalization is really an just artifact of trying to
> incorporate finalization into legacy systems not designed for it.  Any
> disagreements?
>
>     - Dave
>
> --
> David Stoutamire
> http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~davids

Hear, hear!! I agree totally. Now, if we just could get rid of all those
legacy users and developers... :)

Seriously, I think the legacy issue is key because of the bootstrapping
issue. Popular languages won't evolve to good finalization semantics until
enough people writing in those languages are using gc to demand it.