[gclist] Multi-processor garbage collection

Simon Spero ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 15:53:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi-
  This is probably a stupid question, but at least it'll make a change
from finalisation :-)

I recently got a BeBox (dual PowerPC, no easy access to the VM primitives
yet ), and as a learning exercise I'm trying to bring up a partial
implementation of the java VM. Does anybody have any
suggestions/war-stories about building collectors for shared-memory
multi-processors where the number of processors is relatively small (say,
2-8)? I'd like to come up with something that can run in squishy-time
(very soft real-time).

The current design I'm tending towards is a mark/sweep concurrent
collector using card-marking dirty-bits with an entire byte used to
store the dirty flag, and with allocation coming off of   segregated
free-lists, possibly on a per-thread basis. Is this doomed to failure?

Simon

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO