[gclist] GC security

Basile STARYNKEVITCH Basile.Starynkevitch@cea.fr
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:31:21 +0100

[lots of interesting stuff deleted]

    Henry> (BTW, this is a serious security problem with GC in
    Henry> general, which is that it is _too lazy_ about actually
    Henry> overwriting bits after deletion.  This is why I advocate
    Henry> 'linear' types in addition to GC, so that people can force
    Henry> prompt deletion for certain important types.)

It seems to me that copying or compacting GCs are more secure, because
only live data is copyied (and I assume that unused memory is
"physically" freed, eg by munmap(2)-ing, i.e. memory unmapping by the
virtual memory subsystem in the kernel).

I probably didn't understand Henry's argument. (I did read some of his
papers, but don't understand well the connection to GC safety).

--

N.B. Any opinions expressed here are solely mine, and not of my organization.
N.B. Les opinions exprimees ici me sont personnelles et n engagent pas le CEA.

Please cite a **pertinent part** of my mail in all answers
Veuillez citer une **partie pertinente** de mon courrier dans vos reponses

Basile STARYNKEVITCH   ----  Commissariat a l Energie Atomique (civil)
DRN/DMT/SERMA * CEA/Saclay bat.470 * 91191 GIF/YVETTE CEDEX * France
fax: (33) [1] 69.08.85.68; phone: 69.08.40.66; homephone: 46.65.45.53
email: basile.starynkevitch@cea.fr (or else basile@soleil.serma.cea.fr);
I speak french, english, russian. Je parle francais, anglais, russe.