[gclist] Weighted Reference Count (was: distributed objects)

Christian Fabre fabre@gr.osf.org
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:48:09 +0100

|| From: Mark Tillotson <markt@harlequin.co.uk>

|| The object itself has to extend the bits of precision of it's
|| remaining weight to allow for the maximum number of duplications of
|| any deleted reference (or better still have a sparse representation
|| of the number?)
|
| I don't understand this remark.  The object's total weight is a
| single number.  Whereas the credits given out to the individual
| pointers can only be equal to a power of two, the total weight can
| be any number.

I have the same concern as Mark Tillotson. The problem is, it seems
that we have a maximum number of copy per object.

Let us assume a 32 bits architecture.  Each object starts with a
Weight Credit of 2^31, the Allocated Weight is divided by 2 at each
duplication.  In the worst case, if we duplicate 31 time we might end
up with a duplicate having an AW of 1.

1/2=0, so how do we proceed to duplicate that one?

Or did I miss something obvious?

|                                                 Marc

Christian.

=====
   Christian Fabre
OSF Research Institute 		Net: fabre@gr.osf.org
  2 avenue de Vignate		Tel: +33 76.63.48.90
 38610 Gieres - France 		Fax: +33 76.51.05.32