[gclist] More questions for the FAQ

Robert A Duff bobduff@world.std.com
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:39:15 -0500

Henry Baker says:

> No.  'Save' needs to be very fast, since you want to be able to save
> your work every paragraph or so in case of a computer crash.

OK, but that means a gc is slower than a save to disk.  True?
I skept.

Furthermore, IMHO safety against computer crash ought to be somewhat
more automatic.  No?  (And not the responsibility of some lowly
word-processing application, and certainly not of the user.)

And your computer shouldn't ought to crash so much!  :-)/2

>...  The
> right place to do this would be at a Quit/Save, but most programs don't
> couple these the way vi does.

I'm not a vi fan, but I find it a very poor user interface when I can
print out my document (on real, physical, paper), but forget to save it
to disk.  How many people have sent a paper copy to someone important,
and then saved nothing but an obsolete version of it on their own disk?
Sigh.

- Bob

P.S. Sorry this is only mildly relevant to gc.  Gotta get it off my
chest.