[gclist] More questions for the FAQ

boehm.PARC@xerox.com boehm.PARC@xerox.com
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:48:43 PST

"The Amiga Operating System (can we call that a successful project?)
uses some kind of GC for its fonts and dynamic libraries ..."

I think this is pretty standard for dynamic libraries, etc.  SunOS, and various
MS Windows variants do similar things.  MS Windows does it for an amazing
collection of distinct OS resources (though not well for files), often for no
good reason.  The fact that it all has to be programmer initiated, and many of
the resources are artificially scarce, is probably a major factor behind the
frequency of reboots for such systems.  I'm not quite sure what implications
this has for the FAQ ...

Hans