[gclist] article

Marc Shapiro shapiro@prof.inria.fr
Mon, 20 May 1996 14:03:33 +0200

You may be interested in the following article.

                 Asynchronous Distributed Garbage Collection
                              in a Cached Store

                                Paulo Ferreira
                                 Marc Shapiro
                        INRIA Rocquencourt, Projet SOR

                 Asynchronous Distributed Garbage Collection
                              in a Cached Store

Larchant is a cached persistent store, combining distributed shared
memory and persistence by reachability.  Programs, running at different
sites and/or times, share data by assigning and navigating pointers.
Automatic garbage collection is essential in this context; the GC
algorithms must take into account the cost of coherence and of I/O and
must scale.  The Larchant GC is based on local collection; it incurs no
coherence or I/O overhead; it is fully asynchronous.  Contributions of
this work include a simple, general model of memory, applications,
coherence, and GC, safety rules for asynchronous GC in the presence of
possibly incoherent replicas, a technique for asynchronous GC, an
implementation, and performance measurements.

This article has been submitted for publication.  It will be available
for one week at the following address:

        ftp://alix.inria.fr/pub/larchant-submitted.ps.gz