[gclist] Separate data space for collector data.

Charles Fiterman cef@geode.geodesic.com
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:04:40 +0100

I am coming to the conclusion that a conservative
collector must keep its data separate from user
data even if this requires substantial overhead.

First I am talking about experience with a commercial
product that must be industrial strength. If the
user can corrupt collector data in ways that makes
the collector crash at some later time the collector
is nearly useless. The user has no way to track what
is hapening to her and we have no practical way to
help.

An experimental system can come with source but an
industrial one cannot. Even if we ship the source
few users could make any use of it.

Real languages not only have garbage collection but
like Java they are type safe and do not allow access
to objects other than through their methods.

Charles Fiterman	Geodesic Systems
Phone 312-728-7196	4745 N. Ravenswood Suite 111
Fax   312-728-6096	Chicago Il 60015

A language without garbage collection is
like a city without garbage collection.