[gclist] Java manchines and when to collect.

Giuseppe Attardi attardi@DI.Unipi.IT
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 10:12:31 +0100

   From: "Steve Lee" <sjlee@newmonics.com>
   Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 23:50:19 -0600
   Have you taken a look at NewMonics' PERC realtime-java extensions?  The PERC
   runtime system assigns ownership of objects to Activitys (somewhat analogous to
   an applet) and then enforces each Activity to stay within its budget, so as to
   allow each Activity to have deterministic memory allocation.  Activitys
   negotiate with the PERC runtime system to determine a guaranteed budget and an
   expected budget.  Similar negotiation is done for CPU management.

This reminds me of the concept of "sponsors" that Carl Hewitt and I proposed
several years ago.
A sponsor could be used also to control concurrent activities, for instance
stopping a parallel search as soon as one of the actors had found the answer:

G. Attardi,
Concurrent Strategy Execution in Omega,
in Concurrent Object Oriented Programming,
A. Yonezawa and M. Tokoro (eds.), MIT Press, 1987.

-- Beppe