[gclist] Cost of gc

Olivier Lefevre nnylfv@ny.ubs.com
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 19:10:57 -0500

--MimeMultipartBoundary

No, it's not what you think :) I am not talking of slowdown but
of this, which was recently posted on comp.lang.python by Guido
van Rossum (the author of python), in reply to someone who
advocated gc for python on the ground that "It greatly simplifies
programming at only a small cost."

> Before you get all excited, I recommend you talk to programmers who
> have written native C/C++ code that links into a Java runtime. There
> are costs there, too!  The costs are in terms of what you have to do
> to keep your data from being garbage collected while you are working
> on it.  I am told it can be quite painful.

Can the gc experts who read this list comment on the above?

Regards,

-- O.L.
--MimeMultipartBoundary--