[gclist] A problem with the Baker treadmill.

Charles Fiterman cef@geodesic.com
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:33:38 -0600

>Thats exactly what I'm doing and have run against.
>If you're using a treadmill per size class then
>you're only locking a treadmill for one size of object,
>but still..

I'm doing Solaris Threads for a start and the overhead
is in the lock call. It doesn't matter if other threads
are running. That means that since the lock is for a
small number of instructions we should lock on the
whole collector rather than lock twice. It suggests use
of a spin lock written in assembler. In fact the requeue
operation can profitably be in assembler with the spin lock.

			-
Charles Fiterman		Geodesic Systems
414 North Orleans Suite 410	Phone 312 832 1221 x223
Chicago IL 60610-4418		FAX   312 832 1230
				http://www.geodesic.com

A computer language without garbage collection
  is like a city without garbage collection.