[gclist] Re: Articles expiring too fast!

Bryan O'Sullivan bos@serpentine.com
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:00:15 -0800 (PST)

c> It strikes me that a simple heuristic might help.  News groups like
c> talk.politics.misc with very large volumes would actually benefit
c> from a faster expiration while those with small volumes like
c> comp.compiler.misc would be hurt.

Actually, in this particular case the solution is even more
straightforward.  A significant portion of Usenet bandwidth is used by
a comparatively small number of binaries newsgroups, in which pirated
software and erotica are posted.  Reducing expire times on such
newsgroups has a disproportionately large benefit in terms of freeing
up disk space.

In any case, I have rather strayed off-topic.  To return to something
more apropos, those of you who follow the circle of software
reincarnation will no doubt be bemused to hear that several denizens
of one of the larger Java mailing lists are beginning to look for
language/runtime facilities that provide the same functionality as
weak pointers.

	<b