[gclist] Looking for a garbage collector

Patrick E. Krogel pekrogel@mtu.edu
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:18:05 -0400 (EDT)

> Dear colleagues!
>
> For a project I'm looking for a garbage collector
> with the following properties:
>
> - freely available ;-)
> - portable
> - efficient
> - for C(++)
> - it's incremental and running as a thread concurrently with
>   the main thread(s) (as in Java)
>
> Does anybody know such a collector or a collector
> that fulfils some of the requirements above?

Check out "http://reality.sgi.com/employees/boehm_mti/gc.html"
It appears to meet most of the criteria except the last one,
running as a thread.  I haven't checked the efficiency yet, but
it uses a mark and sweep algorithm.

> Every hint would be very appreciated!
>
> Thank you and best regards
> Christian Heckler
>
> By the way: Is there a news group where garbage collection
>             is discussed?

Garbage collection is sometimes discussed in comp.compilers, but
not too often as far as I can tell.

> Christian Heckler                 chh@math.uni-paderborn.de
> Universitaet Paderborn, FB 17 - Mathematik

- Pat Krogel			           pekrogel@mtu.edu -
- CS Dept Sys Admin		            csmaint@mtu.edu -
- Michigan Technological University                         -