[gclist] Request: thread-friendly garbage collection

Chris Dollin kers@cdollin.hpl.hp.com
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:25:01 +0100

Hi chaps,

I'm interested on any references to ``thread-friendly'' garbage collection,
where by ``thread-friendly'' I mean that

(a) individual threads can collect ``their'' store without other threads
paying [much of] the price;

(b) different threads can have different store-allocation/regeneration
policies;

(c) it's not *too* expensive [I get the shivers thinking about the possible
costs of write barriers, for example.]

(d) ... and I'd prefer not to assume hardware support

--

Regards,    | ``In fingers of trees, and valleys of gold    | Judy Tzuke
Kers.       | I watch as you outshine the charlatan foe.''  | Higher & Higher