[gclist] Re: gclist-digest V2 #24

Mario Wolczko Mario.Wolczko@Eng.Sun.COM
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 21:36:37 -0800

>   I'd be interested in hearing from the Self community on whether their
>   aggressively-optimizing implementation attempted to preserve these
>   reachability properties.  I think it may not have been an issue since
>   I think Self never provided finalization.

You're correct in that Self never provided finalization.  Even it had,
I believe it would have behaved like Smalltalk.  Self implemented
interpreter semantics -- ie you could never observe the effects of an
optimization.  Optimizing away references would have been visible
through the reflective layer, as in Smalltalk.  (For the same reason
we never provided tail-call elimination.)