[gclist] Timeliness of finalization

Giuliano Carlini GCARLINI@us.oracle.com
28 Mar 97 18:10:29 -0800

--=_ORCL_33978549_0_11919703281911560
Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit

CF> Finalizers must be "sure" to protect encapsulation.

HB> If you mean that they should run at process exit, then I disagree.  Most
HB> resources should be released by the OS...
HB> you typically do not want to explicitly release resources that
HB> will be released by the OS, since the OS can typically perform the operation
HB> more cheaply.

Hi Hans,

What do you think about running finalizers at exit for non OS objects? It seems that these
must be run at exit. If I create a service, why should I have to support two different ways to
release objects. One which occurs durring normal execution, and one to optimize process
exit? I suspect that usually this would be a misguided microoptimation that saves very
little time. Especially when getting code to run at process exit is typically an
unportable pain in the backside.

Consider C++ streams which buffer output. These clearly must be finalized at exit. Seems
like running finalizers at exit is just the ticket to do this. C++ runtimes currently
manage to do this, but the compiler vendors stoop to some ugly hacks to get it done.

--=_ORCL_33978549_0_11919703281911560