[gclist] Finalization and object orientation.

Bryan O'Sullivan bos@serpentine.com
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:30:54 -0800 (PST)

[I sent out a message to this effect a few days ago, but it seems
 never to have made it out to the list.]

c> I am learning via various sources that the normal implementation of
c> Java finalizers is the bit bucket.

If, by this, you mean that finalizers are not usually implemented,
this is incorrect.

My understanding of the way Javasoft's virtual machine does things,
for example, is that it runs the finaliser thread as the
lowest-priority thread in the system.

A property of the green threads package that Javasoft's current VM
uses is that the lowest-priority thread will only run when there are
no other runnable threads.

What this means is that if your program has little or no idle time,
some or all finalisers may fail to be run.

	<b