[gclist] Finalization releasing resources

johnm-gclist@non.net johnm-gclist@non.net
27 Mar 1997 22:52:56 -0000

[...Java GC & finalization...]
> If I remember correctly the spec do say that implementation may explictly
> force gc and finalization when you ask for certain resources. Such as
> bitmaps, files, sockets, etc .. some implementation specific heuristics
> would apply.

Nope.  The JLS only says that calls to gc() and runFinalization() will do a
"best effort".  You can interpret that any way you like but it seems
reasonably clear that the designers really do mean that nothing *has* to be
done for those calls.

You can, however, call an object's finalize() method yourself.

Take care,
	John