[gclist] A Java question.

Charles Fiterman cef@geodesic.com
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:08:27 -0600

At 12:35 PM 3/25/97 -0800, you wrote:
>m> All Java VM's must call finalizers and all as far as I know do.
>
>This is a potentially misleading statement, and should not be read to
>imply that an object's finalizer will always be called when it is
>garbage collected.
>
>m> I think you may be talking about the fact that once a finalizer has
>m> been called once, it will not be called again.
>
>A finalizer may be called more than once in some circumstances.

I wonder how they do all this. The only safe algorithm I can come up
with uses a write barrier on pointers.
			-
Charles Fiterman		Geodesic Systems
414 North Orleans Suite 410	Phone 312 832 1221 x223
Chicago IL 60610-4418		FAX   312 832 1230
				http://www.geodesic.com

A computer language without garbage collection
  is like a city without garbage collection.