[gclist] Re: Linux and commercial compilers

Lars Thomas Hansen lth@ccs.neu.edu
Wed, 05 Nov 1997 12:53:48 -0500

[Boehm's collector]

>only the lack of performance when large (10MB+?)
>objects are being allocated seems to be a real problem (it seems to go
>into an infinite loop allocating memory from the O/S - at a guess, trying
>to find a spot that is not black-listed, though I could be wrong about that;
>has anyone else had more success here?  is it a Linux problem?).

Version 4.11 of Boehm's collector doesn't seem to have this problem
under SunOS4 -- I can allocate and use blocks at least up to 14MB
without trouble.  (Well, from a Scheme system -- not from NAG Fortran.)
The collector does produce diagnostics about having had to allocate
blacklisted blocks, however.

--lars