[gclist] region inferencing

Brian Hurt brianh@risky.bit3.com
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:45:53 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, David Chase wrote:

> At 10:45 AM 11/6/97 +0100, Christian Fabre wrote:
> One possible system-level problem with region analysis is that if
> it is used in combination with a generational garbage collector,
> both the region analysis and the garbage collector are going to
> be chasing the same short-lived objects, so the performance
> of the system might not be as good as you might hope.  Of course,
> not all systems will be built that way.

I was actually wondering if you could mix pseudo-region analysis with
garbage collection.  The basic idea I had was, given a language with
functions as first-class objects (like Java), have each function frame be
it's own generation.  When the function exits, it tells the garbage
collector to mark and sweep the whole frame- all objects either get
promoted to a older generation or collected.

Or is this already being done?

Inquiring newbies want to know...
Brian