[gclist] Whistle while you work!

Henry Baker hbaker@netcom.com
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 06:28:10 -0700

I just got Norton Utilies 3.0 for Win95, and noticed that it offers to play
a MIDI song for you while it runs "Speeddisk", which is a sort of disk file
copying gc.  It also does a little animation of the various disk blocks in
different colors which indicate the usage of the disk blocks.

Just for the heck of it, I put in the "1812 Overture", which is about the
opposing French and Russian armies.  The effect is quite amazing -- the cannon
fires just about the time a major file is fully moved -- kind of
like watching Kurasawa's "Ran", with its opposing multi-colored armies!

I highly recommend adding sound-effects to all long-lived operations to show
1) that you, the designer, know it will be long-lived, and appreciate the
user's patience;
2) that the system (probably) hasn't crashed, and is still doing something
useful.

------

No, I have _not_ been inhaling illegal substances!!

------

We should start a list of the best songs to play with each type of gc
operation.

"These boots are made for walking (all overy your data)"
(boot directly into gc, after a crash, e.g.)