[gclist] Java manchines and when to collect.

Pekka P. Pirinen pekka@harlequin.co.uk
Tue, 6 Jan 98 14:29:46 GMT

"P. T. Withington" <ptw@harlequin.com> wrote:
> Since to write any storage manager you must convert "address to pile of
> bits" into "object of type x" (and back), I would say you cannot write any
> storage manager in a type-safe language.

But one type ("pile of bits") can be used to implement another ("x"),
if your type system is advanced enough, and that conversion is only
unsafe if you manage to overlap live objects.  So if you have a type
system that can express the correctness condition of your storage
manager, you could do it safely.  Of course, that would be no ordinary
type system, but probably a full constructive logic, so you're right
in practice.  People don't use constructive logics for general-purpose
programming very much :-).
--
Pekka P. Pirinen