[gclist] Mars Rover info from comp.risks

Stuart Yeates Stuart.Yeates@trimble.co.nz
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:30:04 +1300

> Hans-Juergen Boehm
> It seems to me that this actually changes the programming model
> significantly.
> Condition variable waits in pthreads (or Java or Modula 3 or Mesa)
> cannot
> easily specify the thread they are waiting for.  In a lot of code
> that's not
> known.

My understanding is that the JVM (runtime system, including scheduler)
can track the priority of threads waiting on locks and adjust the
apparent priority of lock holders or the order in which threads get
removed from the lock queue transparently. The interface to the JVM was
written, I believe, to support alternative scheduling implementations.

Good scheduling options are not widely available in JVM's, but that
doesn't mean they're impossible.

stuart
--
Stuart Yeates  --- stuart.yeates@trimble.co.nz